Kratom is known for its medical and recreational capabilities that some people use to treat their health and mental problems. Kratom is a type of tree also known as mitragyna speciosa, and it is native to Southeast Asia. Its leaves contain mind-altering substances that can give a person energy or relaxation. Keep reading to know the list of my favorite kratom vendors from the USA.
However, despite the benefits it provides to its consumers, it has negative effects. The use of kratom has been abused, and it inevitably became an addiction.
The Addictive Nature of Kratom
Kratom works like an opioid drug, which means it’ll have huge impacts on the brain’s neurotransmitters such as serotonin. Serotonin is the ‘happy cells’ that send signals to our brain to make us feel happy. Kratom will interfere with the production of serotonin. When it leaves a person’s bloodstream, the following symptoms will take place:
- Mental fatigue
- The struggle to feel any pleasure
Therefore, this prompts them to take more and more kratom to keep the withdrawal symptoms at bay.
The Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) sited other effects of long-term kratom abuse:
- Dryness of the lips and mouth
- Weight loss leading to anorexia
- Constant need to urinate
- Skin discoloration of the face
The DEA also added other withdrawal side effects:
- Muscle and bone aches
- Aggressive behavior
- Restlessness or uncontrollable jerk movements
- Runny nose
The treatment of a person’s Kratom abuse and addiction is the same process as other drug-related addictions. The treatment process undergoes three phases:
Eliminating the drug from a person’s body through detox is often part of the physical stabilization phase. Detox programs usually provide a patient with certain medications to reduce withdrawal symptoms and drug cravings.
This phase mainly targets the mental, behavioral, and emotional parts of a patient. There are two ways to do therapeutic treatment:
- Residential Setting – means a patient will stay in the treatment facility to receive constant care and guidance through meetings, sessions, educational activities, and positive recreational activities such as yoga. They will follow a set of schedules in accomplishing each task of the day.
- Outpatient Setting – means a patient will only have to visit the treatment facility depending on the schedule or appointment given. Patients undergo the same treatments with patients in a residential setting, but they have the privilege to go home after the sessions. However, an outpatient setting could potentially be less effective than the residential setting.
In this phase, the patient has successfully eradicated the drugs on his body and partially overcame the mental and emotional urge to take drugs. However, he will still be monitored and will undergo counseling sessions and scheduled weekly or monthly meetings with therapists.
The usage rate of kratom has grown in different parts of the world. It is not a legally controlled substance yet, and people can easily purchase it online and in physical shops. Just remember to take it moderately and only when the need arises to stay safe and healthy.